- Driver’s license and car title: the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
- Credit cards and check books: your bank or check online.
- Social Security and Medicare: the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
- Land deeds: your local county or city courthouse
- Birth certificates and marriage licenses: The Virginia Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records and Health Statistics
- Voter registration: your local board of elections.
- Passports: the U.S. Department of State.
- Citizenship papers: the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Consider using a safe-deposit box at your bank and keep copies in your emergency supply kit.
Heirlooms and Other Valuables
FEMA has tips for recovering valuable documents.
Antique furniture finishes and painted surfaces may develop a white haze or bloom from contact with water and humidity. Consult a professional conservator for treatment.